Another survey

Robert Wilson

Bodybuilder/Fitness Model
I hope everyone at Greatest Physiques are doing great! It's Robert Wilson. I would like to conduct
another survey. Please tell me what leg exercise you prefer and why. Either the squat or leg press.
Your participation is invaluable to me!

Train hard but smart!

Robert Wilson

Former Personal Trainer

Amanda

Hey, Robert! Hope you are doing well. I prefer the squat over the leg press. For some reason, the leg press makes me nauseous (when going heavy ). It USED to be my strongest exercise, but for some reason I started to lose strength on that one. But I still do them, regardless.

Which do you prefer, Robert?

Robert Wilson

Thank you Amanda for participating in my survey! I injured myself years ago when I took the advice from another
bodybuilder. The advice was apparently correct in that to better work the fast twitch muscle fibers the reps should
be done at a faster cadence (speed). Up until that time my cadence was always slow and controlled, thus
eliminating momentum. Momentum, being an outside force, robs the muscles in question the tension needed
to build more mass and strength. I was making great gains following this protocol! Arthur Jones, inventor of
the Nautilus machines and I.F.B.B. superstar Mike Mentzer were strong proponents of this minimal momentum
method of training. This made sense to me, so I followed suit.

Amanda, the mistake was I listened to this other bodybuilder. The rep cadence increased while doing an incline
barbell press and my shoulder became injured. My body was not accustomed to training with this different
method. You see Amanda, Olympic weightlifters use momentum and balance to heave those heavy weights up.
They don't muscle the weight up. The task of the bodybuilder is to create tension in the muscle(s). Or at least it
should be. I have come across articles that tell you otherwise. Getting back to the shoulder injury. When I tried
to squat, the pain was emanating from the shoulder joint. Even with the empty bar the pain was unbearable!
Trust me Amanda, I have strong legs like you, so I had to opt for the leg press.

Tell me Amanda, what types of leg press machines do you have at your gym? Where I train, we have three types:
the angled leg press, the horizontal leg press and the seated pin stacked leg press. I have read that the horizontal
leg press machine can cause dizziness and other serious complications. If this is the one you use, I would strongly
advise you to stay away from this apparatus or from any other leg press machine that causes you those symptoms.
Have you ever considered the hack squat machine? This machine focuses on the quads, especially near where the
muscles insert into the knee joint. I hope you have found this information intriguing Amanda!

Robert Wilson

Former Personal Trainer

Amanda

Well, here at home I have the seated pin stacked leg press, which doesn't bother me at all, but I also don't get much out of it. At the gym I use the angled leg press, and hate it, but I really feel it and can position my feet close, wide, high, or low.
I wish our gym, or I, had a hack squat machine! I've used one years ago, and liked it. ( well as much as you can "like" something like that, lol)

Robert Wilson

Eh Amanda, it's Robert Wilson. Just wanted to add to your biceps workouts.

Larry Scott, our first Mr. Olympia (1965-1966) had arguably the best arms in
bodybuilding history! He primarily used the preacher bench to build those
famous biceps of his! Larry actually did tri sets (3 exercises in a row) with
minimal rest between each set. The first was two arm dumbbell curls,
immediately followed by barbell curls, and finally EZ reverse curls. Larry
would then rest 1-2 minutes. This was considered 1 series. He would do
a total of 3-5 series. Amanda, could you imagine how spent Larry's biceps
were? When full reps were no longer possible he did partial reps or burns.

Larry suggested to work on forearm strength in order to curl heavier weights.
At the bottom of the rep he would literally wrist curl the weight in order to
get the weights up.

Amanda, what I'd recommend for you is perform one super set. Then, as you
progress, do 1 series of the aforementioned tri set. If you need more time to
recover between exercises, don't worry. Soon the rest intervals won't take
that long.

Finally Amanda, I would suggest 1-2 such series.

P.S.

Personally, I have never tried this tri set on the preach bench. That being said,
I've used the preach bench for part of my biceps work outs. At our gym Amanda,
we have an awesome nautilus preacher curl machine that allows for constant
tension. I'm sure you'd like it!

Your friend,

Robert Wilson

Former Personal Trainer

Amanda

So, you're saying he did all 3 using the preacher bench, right? Sounds like another good workout.

Thanks Robert!

Robert Wilson

Eh Amanda, I just posted a similar article to the other members on Greatest Physiques. I hope
to hear back from them! Their input is invaluable to me, as yours is as well!

I did stipulate in this similar post that the tri set workout is very intense! Caution must be used!
Again, remember to breathe and stretch. Use a spotter. Break into this tri set routine slowly.

Amanda, you may want to modify this workout. As I suggested to the other members, the time
interval between sets can be manipulated. When you are able to do 1 tri set series, if more
rest is needed, so be it. The benefits will still be there! As the time intervals decrease after
each exercise, the benefits will increase!

All the best!

Your friend,

Robert Wilson

Former Personal Trainer

I

Amanda

Hey thanks Robert!

I will let you know how it goes. As you know, I've been trying different arm workouts so I'm going to do my normal, heavy workouts a couple of times first, then try to shock them with this new routine.

I wish other members would give their input, too.

Have a great weekend!

Amanda

Robert Wilson

Eh Amanda, I would just like to take this opportunity to thank you for all of your input. I wonder why
the other members don't get back to me like they used to.

Did I tell you Amanda that when one trains the back, the biceps are worked as well, albeit to a lesser
degree! Amanda, I obviously don't know what exercises you do for your back. Here are some that
I do that incorporate the back and biceps e.g. barbell bent over rows, t bar rows, the reverse grip lat
machine pull downs (former I.F.B.B. Mr. Olympia Heavy Weight Mike Mentzer considered this
exercise the best for building the biceps because when doing the barbell curl the biceps are worked
from a single joint axis (elbow joint), whereas the reverse grip lat pull downs work the biceps from
a 2 joint axes i.e. the shoulder joint and elbow joint, thus making it the more productive exercise!
This movement puts the biceps into the strongest position (palms facing you). When doing this
exercise with the palms facing away, the biceps are put at a mechanical disadvantage.

P.S.

The reverse grip lat pull down machine also focuses on the lower lats. The technique used for
this movement requires a complete stretch at the top, followed by bringing the bar down to
around the upper chest level for a 1-2 second pause. Amanda, as you are bringing the bar
down, it is imperative to bring your shoulders down and back. This is applicable to both the regular
(palms facing away and palms facing you version). Prior to commencing any back workout,
it is important to stretch each arm in turn, or simultaneously. Grab hold of a machine with
a vertical support and hold the stretch with the arm(s) straight. You should feel a nice easy
stretch throughout the lat musculature. Never, ever force a stretch! Hold this position until
the lats feel relaxed. I suggest 2*12-15 for a warm up. Then proceed to 2-3 working sets of
8-12 reps.

Your friend,

Robert Wilson

Former Personal Trainer

Amanda

Hey Robert,

Back day has become my favorite lately, I could easily get carried away and over train because I want to do ALL the exercises, lol! Once I get going I don't want to stop. And my lats are FINALLY growing.
Resized952018122295095947955553.jpg Resized952018122295095929951604.jpg
This was taken 2 weeks ago.

Thanks for the tips!

Amanda

Robert Wilson

Eh Amanda, what can I tell you. Your back lat spread and back double biceps are awesome! Have you ever thought of
competing?

Thank you for sending me your photos!

I'm sure it's very easy to send photos via the internet. I just have to learn how. When I do, I'd like to show you how I
look when I pose.

Anyway, yesterday I did only 2 exercises as follows:

1) Hammer curls 2*12 20 lb. w.u., 1*12 25 lb., 1*15 30 lb., 1*14 40 lb.,
1 D.S. (drop set) 1*15 30 lb.

2) Hand grippers 1*12 w.u., 1*15 w.u., 1*27, 1*32, 1*37, 1*42

Note: I set a new personal record when doing the H.C. with the 40 lb. dumbbells 1*14 reps. Previously, it was 1*12.

Lately Amanda, as you know, I've been sending you training information on biceps workouts. In the near future, I
feel compelled to send you tips on triceps training. One of these tips is when performing triceps push downs,
the elbows can be in against your upper body, or with elbows out. This creates a different stimulus on the triceps
muscles. Try using an assortment of bars e.g. a v bar, straight bar, an ez curl bar etc.....

Train hard, but smart!

Your friend,

Robert Wilson

Former Personal Trainer

Amanda

Thanks Robert. I'm asked often why I don't compete. I am just not interested in it, it's too much pressure and anxiety for me, it would not be enjoyable at all.
Congrats on that PR! AWESOME!
You can use your phone to post pics here where it says "Attach Files". That's how I do it.
I haven't tried press downs with my elbows flared out, but I will today.

Have a great day!
Amanda

Robert Wilson

Eh Amanda, if competing is not your thing, don't worry about it. You have to admit that being told you should
compete is nice. This proves your training efforts have paid off!

Earlier, I worked out again with only 2 exercises as follows:

1) Upright rows 2*12 31 lb. w.u., 1*17 60 lb., 1*20 60 lb., 1*10 90 lb.

Note: Previous workout 1*15 60 lb., 1*18 60 lb., 1*8 90 lb.

2) Barbell curls 2*12 31 lb. w.u. 1*12 60 lb., 1*12 60 lb., 1*10 90 lb.

Note: Years ago my best Barbell curl was 1*1 135 lb.

Train hard, but smart

Your friend,

Robert Wilson

Former Personal Trainer

Amanda

Eh Amanda, if competing is not your thing, don't worry about it. You have to admit that being told you should
compete is nice. This proves your training efforts have paid off!

Earlier, I worked out again with only 2 exercises as follows:

1) Upright rows 2*12 31 lb. w.u., 1*17 60 lb., 1*20 60 lb., 1*10 90 lb.

Note: Previous workout 1*15 60 lb., 1*18 60 lb., 1*8 90 lb.

2) Barbell curls 2*12 31 lb. w.u. 1*12 60 lb., 1*12 60 lb., 1*10 90 lb.

Note: Years ago my best Barbell curl was 1*1 135 lb.

Train hard, but smart

Your friend,

Robert Wilson

Former Personal Trainer
Hey Robert,

That's great, you're getting a couple more reps each time.

My best barbell curl is 95 lbs for 8 reps. But as I'm trying to cut a little more fat, it's getting more difficult..I only got 3 reps yesterday.

Today is legs again, I am going to test out my Booty Band I finally ordered.

Have a great day!

Amanda

Robert Wilson

Eh Amanda, that's phenomenal! Barbell curls for 95 lb.*8. Actually, I was thinking the other day about how
much you could curl. I estimated 60 lb.-80 lb. Oh how wrong I was!

Congrats on this achievement! You are an inspiration to me!

Train hard, but smart!

Your friend,

Robert Wilson

Former Personal Trainer