Stiff Leg Deadlifts

Amanda

Bodybuilder/Fitness Model
Hey there everyone. I've always done my stiff leg deadlifts just as is says, stiff legs with knees locked. But I see a LOT of women in workout videos doing them with their knees slightly bent and using dumbbells. Is one move superior to the other, or just a variation?

Robert Wilson

How are you Amanda? I hope all is well! In regards to your question on stiff leg dead lifts with a barbell and or
with dumbbells, both exercises work the lower back and hamstrings.

Keep in mind Amanda that when doing these two movements, it is imperative to bent at the knees as this takes
undue pressure off the lower back.

Your friend,

Robert Wilson

Former Personal Trainer

Amanda

How are you Amanda? I hope all is well! In regards to your question on stiff leg dead lifts with a barbell and or
with dumbbells, both exercises work the lower back and hamstrings.

Keep in mind Amanda that when doing these two movements, it is imperative to bent at the knees as this takes
undue pressure off the lower back.

Your friend,

Robert Wilson

Former Personal Trainer
Thank you Robert.

Aesthetic Agonist

@Amanda the hamstrings are a two-joint muscle with two main functions - knee flexion and hip extension. When you lock the knee out you keep the muscle in a stretched position and shift the emphasis to the bundles of fibers down at the knee. It maintains constant tension and passive muscle contraction is great for muscle growth.

The slightly more bent knee RDL helps to reduce tension at the lower hamstring (because there's no stretch any more at the knee end) and focus more on the upper fibers towards the hip (and glutes too).

Both are great exercises and varying between the two is a good idea.

Note - it's only a slight bend at the knee which is kept constant throughout. Any more than that and you might as well be squatting

Hope that helps

AA

Amanda

@Amanda the hamstrings are a two-joint muscle with two main functions - knee flexion and hip extension. When you lock the knee out you keep the muscle in a stretched position and shift the emphasis to the bundles of fibers down at the knee. It maintains constant tension and passive muscle contraction is great for muscle growth.

The slightly more bent knee RDL helps to reduce tension at the lower hamstring (because there's no stretch any more at the knee end) and focus more on the upper fibers towards the hip (and glutes too).

Both are great exercises and varying between the two is a good idea.

Note - it's only a slight bend at the knee which is kept constant throughout. Any more than that and you might as well be squatting

Hope that helps

AA
That does help, AA, very much. As always, thank you for your help.